Friday, December 3, 2010

Miss Raquel's Month in Review!

Miss Raquel November 2010 Month in Review


Nov. 12: NuJazz Festival - DJ Shadow - Phoenix Concert Theatre, Toronto
This was one of those one in a lifetime performances. Actually more of a theatrical production than a DJ set.  Shadow combined DJing with HD animations and projections on a white sphere which was called the Shadowsphere. At first the front of the sphere was sealed off and later it opened to show DJ Shadow playing inside. Yes very cool, original stuff.

Animations from all angles were projected onto the Shadowsphere. And when the sphere was closed cameras which were located inside the sphere showcased to those of us outside it him playing.

Nov. 18 - Richie Hawtin, Gaiser, Jamie Kidd – Footwork, Toronto
As per usual this was an awesome show. Many tech-hounds in the crowd and far too many cellphone cameras! Wow! I don’t know if I’ve ever seen so many in a crowd at one time!

I had the honour of meeting Mr. Hawtin as bpm scheduled his interview during one of my “electronica” shoots at The Century Room in Toronto.


I have to tell you he’s far taller than I thought! Hence why I have no idea why many mistook him for his sound tech, but hey this happens!

Hawtin dropped a pretty great set. He played a wide range of tracks; hard bangers to some really great stripped-down minimal.

Around 4am he was wrapping his set up to a packed house, but than again it’s Hawtin we don’t get to see and hear him too often. He’s on tour for his Arkives release, and I can say this was one of my favourite sets.

Be sure to catch the interview on bpm:tv and his videos on my show!

Nov. 27 - Paul Oakenfold and Roger Sanchez – The Kool Haus, Toronto
I interviewed Paul Oakenfold for my blog on gayguidetoronto.com (GGT) called “Poppycock”, and for Scenester Channel. And I have to say it was an honour interviewing a producer who was one of the first DJs I knew of when I started in the Scene around 2004/2005.

He’s been nominated for two Grammies and how often does this opportunity come about to interview an ambassador such as Oakenfold! You’ll get to watch it very soon on GGT and Scenester Channel.

Paul is a well rounded distinguished artist, but I don’t need to tell you this with a remix of “Fasterkill Pussycat” many were anxious to hear featuring the late Brittany Murphy. A video I’ve aired on “electronica” a few times as its one of my favourites.

When we showed up around 12am the place was pretty bare, but once we were done the interview and on stage shooting him play the place was rammed. Seeing that massive crowd from the view from the stage with his energy was simply outstanding!

This will be an experience amongst my other great interviews I will cherish forever, even if "Oakey" was shocked that I told him where to sit, “Look she’s telling me what to do!” Hey! I wanted the pillow to be between us!

UPCOMING EVENT:


The Gift - Saturday December 18, 2010The Guvernment, Toronto, ON
Presented by Heineken

Mark Oliver @ the Guvernment
DJ Wristpect l Sir Lancelot l DJ Delerious @ the Drink

Deko-Ze l Ovi M l Baby Joel @ Gallery

Explicit Sounds of YM @ Acid Lounge

I’ll be in main room, be sure to say “Hi”! More info.

See you on the dancefloor!
Miss Raquel 

No comments:

Post a Comment