Thursday, February 10, 2011

German techno meets Canadiana



From a Vancouver Sun feature on Montreal-based indie-folk artist Rae Spoon, who has incorporated a number of electro influences - among them Kraftwerk, The Knife and Crystal Castles - on his new album Love Is A Hunter. It's the result, he says, of an extended stay in Germany.


"I was explaining to one of my friends over there what folk music was ... and, very seriously, he told me that folk music in Germany was techno. It really changed my perspective ... People my age in Germany will more likely try their hand at DJing than learn how to play guitar ... I was interested to see how I could bring the skills required in folk music and the idea of songwriting and then add electronic music elements and bring them together."

Read the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment